Sunday, April 15, 2012

Five years from now...

Today my church started a new series called, "Future You".  Basically it's like this: If you could come back to TODAY from the future, what would you say to yourself? What would you tell yourself? What advice would you give?  Today's sermon was FIVE years from now.  Next week will be FIFTY years from now, and the week after will be five hundred years from now.

Pastor Dave really hit home today with starting off saying, "If you could go back to 2007, what would you tell yourself?"  Then he proceeded to say that give years from now, we probably would give ourselves the same advice.  Examples -- "Quit the addiction, NOW." or "You really need to take your relationship with God more seriously, take it to the next level" or "You don't really need to spend that much time on facebook" (guilty...), or "Spend more time with the people you love, and be kind to them." Things like that. 

So I started thinking. What would I say to 2007 Amber?  There were a few answers that I'd rather not share that came to mind immediately. And a few things that I had to really think about.  But I had a few realizations.  I'm wasting time on activities or things that really just don't matter. What are my priorities at home, at work, in my relationships, and why?  What kind of life changes can I make NOW to have a better future?

Sounds like I need to start changing. First thing -- spend more time with my husband. No more sittnig in different rooms doing our own thing. We need some good quality husband and wife time together. Even if it means watching a movie I don't want to watch. Or going to eat somewhere I don't want to go. Or showing more kindness. Not arguing about stupid things. Kissing him a couple more times every day.

What would the future you, five years from now, tell you TODAY?

No comments:

Post a Comment